Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Jordan's Book of 2007

I really don't care for New Year's. I am not one for recaps of the year, resolutions, and the month of January. So my tribute to 2007 is simple: Ben and I decided that this month we would write about the best books we have read this year.

Over the past few months I have been reading Jodi Picoult books almost exclusively. I started reading them because they are simple and well written, I could stop and start easily, and they are easily accessible at Wal-Mart, which is almost the only store that sells books in Tooele. Since I considered the books light reading, I was surprised when I fell in love with the book Harvesting the Heart. I purchased it when Nate was in the hospital and hesitated because of the title. I thought it sounded ridiculous, and the "tender" mother-infant graphic on the cover didn't help. Yet when I read the book, something about it really touched me and I just couldn't put it down. I love the author's clear, descriptive style of writing, her exploration of marriage in this and many of her books, the evolution of characters I often don't like at the beginning of a book and make sense to me at the end, and the honest way she portrays flawed humans.

I am sure Ben's pick for the year will be more intellectual, with a philosophical analysis! In the meantime, if you are in the mood for an experience that will leave you thoughtful and serious but not depressed or ranting about politics and religion, I recommend Harvesting the Heart.

1 comment:

Verenice said...

Ok, so I can't believe that someone else loves Jodi Picoult. She is one of the few authors I will read. I was first hooked with The Pact, back in high school, and have since read many others. I am currently reading The Tenth Cirle. This is why I like you Jordan!